This Victorian house overlooking the Hudson River and Bannerman’s Island was a prominent house built in the late 1800’s at the height of Newburgh’s economic boom. Over the years, it changed from a single family to multi-family, then abandoned for many years and near collapse when our clients fell in love with it on their first visit to Newburgh. They approached River Architects with thoughts of restoring the historic exterior but with a modern flair for the interior.
Considerable research and luck led to a historic photograph taken in 1892 when the original house was completed. Much of the original character was saved and replicated during extensive renovation.
In the interior, the modern kitchen flows into the dining area and on to the porch. An open-plan airiness contrasts the Victorian solidity but historic character of the grand stair, wood doors, and trim were maintained. Victorian notions of privacy were challenged by placing a soaking tub in the bay window of the upstairs master bedroom suite- providing a respite with sweeping 180 degree views of the river and Hudson Highlands.